Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Neal Adams; legendary artist, legendary ego.


If you know anything about me you know I love to draw. Specifically I love to draw superheroes. I have been drawing superheroes since I was a wee lad. So when I heard that Kevin Smith was going to interview Neal Adams on his podcast Fatman on Batman I couldn't wait! I had been studying Adams' work for years, he is a truly magnificent artist. So I stuck in the ear phones clicked on the podcast and listened. What I heard was not a humble thankful artist that loves the comic business and is grateful to work in it, like I heard people before say, people like Jim Lee, Scott Snyder or Greg Capulo. No what I heard was a self righteous arrogant jerk who is so high on himself he actually believes that the comic book industry would have crumbled with out him. The way he tells it you would think that everyone who worked in comics during the silver age were morons and he was the only one smart enough to save the business. Whether he is insulting other Batman artists work like Bob Kane or Carmine Infantino or saying how he single-handedly was responsible for making sure that original art work goes back to the artists or saving the Detective Comics title from cancellation or saying that he left the comic business until "It caught up with him"Adams never missed an opportunity to inflate his own ego. It is also very difficult for me to believe that he alone was responsible for DC patching things up with Seagel and Shuster as he would have you believe. In the end after three episodes of the Podcast I was left with very little respect for the man and a shattered illusion of a fellow artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment